IIM Kozhikode Interview Experience PGP 2019-2021



Interview Date- 10th February 2019

Venue- Monarch Luxur Hotel, Bangalore

Time- 8 am. 60 candidates up for the slot. My first IIM interview ever.

WAT- The topic was "Capitalism would inevitably lead to the extinction of mankind." Time given was 25 minutes. I wrote well, keeping in mind PESTEL analysis. I would rate myself 3/5 for my effort.

Resume Writing- As I had work experience ( 20 months at the time of writing this ), I was expected to answer 2 questions in 15 minutes.
1. Have you ever been part of a team? Have you ever been rewarded for good work in a team setting?
2. What has been the most regrettable decision of your life?
I answered both the questions in detail and also what I learnt from the regrettable decision I had made. I ended up filling both the sides of the pages to the very end and my hand ached a bit ( from the speedy writing ) after the time got up. I would rate myself 4/5 for this ( I wrote all what I wanted to write about ).

Interview- There were 2 panel members, one professor from strategy management and the other from economics ( I looked up their profiles on IIM-K website ). One was quite serious, while the other had a constant smile on his face, which calmed down my nerves as well ( my first IIM interview ).
The serious-looking panelist asked me to tell them about myself. I rattled off with my prepared answer, and was then cut off by the panelist, who asked me to explain my poor grades in graduation. I gave him a reason and tried justifying why I would not do the same if I happen to join IIM-K.
Then, the same panelist asked me to explain my work in layman terms. I asked permission to use the pen and paper in front of me and started explaining what I do and how I do it. The pleasant-looking panelist asked me to name certain packages of R which I used and their purposes. He also asked me to name 4 FMCG companies. I was able to answer satisfactorily and confidently.
The strategy management professor asked me how I would go about launching a new product in the market. I was giving generic statements and he would counter the same. I also asked for some time to explain the same, but could still answer, though more convincingly, on the same generic lines.
I had mentioned about a back-up plan as well, if the business plan ( launching a product ) did not work. On the same lines, the professor asked me about my contingency plan ( if none of the IIMs called me for admission ). With a smile on my face and hope in my voice, I told them about my plan.
The panelists then looked at each other, nodded and asked me to leave unless I had a question.
I asked them about what exactly students do during the unique social development projects at IIM-K. The pleasant-looking professor answered my question elaborately.
I shook their hands and left the room.

Expectation of result- My first IIM interview lasted for around 10 minutes and I was not questioned on my under-graduation stream and current affairs. I expect to convert this call, as CAT 2018 scores have the highest weightage in the final selection. I might not make it in the first list, but yes, in the subsequent lists, I am hopeful of finding my name.

Result- Converted :)

Comments

Popular Posts